Monday, September 3, 2007

Welcome to World of HR Project Management - My first Blog

I am new to the world of blogging. In the age of connectivity and information I realized that HR Project Management needs to have a strong user content space for itself. Sure there are n number of blogs and website on Human Resource subject but there isn't one for India and for this new role of Hr professional.

So welcome to the world of HR Project Managers. On this blog I will put my thoughts on HR Project Management, tools techniques etc. and really through this blog improve my Project Management skills and learn as I write.

So as starters what is HR Project Management and where is it today in India. Well, to answer the first question - its managing the HR engine by being with and without HR. Taking up HR problems from HR and solving them for them by collaborating with business and HR. Did that go tangent? (may be for me too ;-) but lets use this posting to share thoughts experiences and enfold the world of HR Project Management.

For the second question - where is it in India? - oh ho no where ;-(…….. ya HR in India though termed as "Strategic Partner” is still confined to routine HR roles of either Recruitment Manager or HR Generalist. We still have not overcome the fear of not having people reporting into us and that has limited our ability to scale to the next level in HR. Cos after we reach 5-7 years of experience, we want someone else to work for us (our team members) and we spend all our time managing the others time, managing team expectations, managing team synergies and in the spare time manage our relations with top management/leadership and in all this we really forget our urge to innovate, resolve and create benchmarks.

While I begin my posts on the subject I will love to hear if any one of you have any advice on blogging.

3 comments:

Sai said...

can u pls let me know about hr project lead roles and responsibilities and approach?

HRPM said...

Hi.

I have been a HR programme and project manager for 36 years. I have worked for many of the worlds largest organisations starting at ICL I have worked all over the global completing HR assignments for many of the world's largest companies including JP Morgan, Syngenta and Vodafone.

I agree with your summing up of what a HR Project Manager does, however, I would like to add that whilst the delivery of HR services has changed and the systems supporting HR have become more complex the essential business of human resource management has not changed at all.

One of the biggest issues I face today, is the unrealistic expectations held by many CEOs and their board members who look to cut costs and it is always HR who is seen as the poor relation. This is far from the truth if HR gets it wrong the organisation will take a big hit, but if HR managers get it right when what are they doing in HR?… It seems like they do nothing and there HR budget can be cut.

I have a couple of simple rules

1. Remember that no matter how automated HR becomes, no matter how remote the service deliver is the service is "a one on one" at the point of delivery.

2. Design the process to deal with the exceptions and most extreme cases then it will not break.

3. If a HR project is large break it down. HR to too diverse to allow everyone to input into every project. Too many cooks will loose the spoon.

4. Make you key stake holders understand how strategic the project is bee it recruitment or appraisal they all impact business performance in some way.

I hope this is of interest to your readers and your self

William

Unknown said...

I found this blog by accident but I am learning HR and found it interesting although I wondered why I do not see any more post.